Culture Editor, FASHION Magazine
REPORTS TO: Editor-in-Chief, FASHION Magazine
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
STATUS: Full time
St. Joseph Media is Canada’s third largest magazine publisher with brands including award-winning titles such as Toronto Life, Torontolife.com, FASHION, fashionmagazine.com, WeddingBells, weddingbells.ca, Canadianfamily.ca, Mariage Quebec, WHERE Canada magazines, Quill & Quire and quillandquire.com.
The Culture Editor is responsible for creating culture-related multi-platform content for the FASHION brand. This person is responsible for daily online culture-related coverage, as well writing/assigning/editing content for the magazine. The culture editor must also be social media savvy and active on all platforms from Facebook live, to Instastories to Twitter.
- Wrangle celebrity cover subjects and interviews
- Assign/write/edit content for the culture section in the magazine, as well as contribute and in some cases project manage special editorial projects
- Participate, as required, in co-branded ventures
- Pitch and write feature/opinion culture pieces on a daily basis for the website
- Meet KPI online metrics set for the culture coverage each month
- Grow FASHION’s culture-related coverage
- Collaborate with photo, design and other editors to put together packages, columns, and features for online and in print
- Understand the voice and audience
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 8 years writing/editing experience in digital and print media
- Passionate/obsessed with pop culture, viral news, and trends
- Excellent substantive editing skills for print features
- Strong writer with a distinctive point of view for both print and digital platforms
- Excellent at producing content with digital-friendly language and graphics
- Good judgment about what works to drive audience in digital media
- Versed in using analytics tools like Facebook Insights, Google Analytics and A/B Testing
- Understanding of editorial best digital practices including SEO, story packaging (especially headlines), and social sharing
- Social media savant
- Engaging on-camera presence—whether it’s a Facebook Live hit, or a television interview
- Ability to think in abstract terms; can make connections between unrelated notions; can formulate innovative ideas
- Possess strong communication skills such as: workload issues, project needs and provides status on the progress of work and results
- Ability to communicate effectively with other team members at a senior level
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task and deal with ambiguity
- Action oriented and a self-starter who is reliable, full of energy, and enjoys challenges
- Relentlessly creative and driven to tell engaging stories
St. Joseph Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates please forward your resume to the Human Resources Department at: email@example.com
Please quote "Culture Editor" in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.