Editor, Books for Young People
REPORTS TO: Editor
DEPARTMENT: Quill & Quire
STATUS: Part-time, Permanent
St. Joseph Media is Canada’s third largest magazine publisher with brands including award-winning titles such as Toronto Life, Torontolife.com, FASHION, fashionmagazine.com, WeddingBells, weddingbells.ca, Canadianfamily.ca, Mariage Quebec, WHERE Canada magazines, Quill & Quire and quillandquire.com.
Quill & Quire is currently looking to fill the part-time position of Book for Young People Editor. This is an ideal position for an experienced, enthusiastic content-creation specialist with superior editing and writing skills looking to contribute to a small team. The successful applicant will have knowledge and passion for Canadian children’s literature, and be energized by the evolving opportunities and storytelling potential of multi-platform journalism.
- Section editor of BfYP reviews (assembling lineup, assigning and editing freelance reviews, liaising with writers, other editors, and art director, maintaining budgets and invoices)
- Project managing and writing biannual feature-length seasonal previews of forthcoming books
- Producing two “spotlight” feature sections on Canadian children’s publishing per year
- Contributing to other special packages (Books of the Year, etc.) in the print magazine and online
- Keeping abreast of developments, trends, and personnel changes in Canadian children’s publishing
- Reporting regularly on kidlit, for both in print and online (WordPress); initiating new ways of covering the industry
- Writing, editing, copy-editing, and proofreading feature and news content for print and web
- Contributing to Q&Q’s social media presence
- Developing relationships with publishers and other industry players; represent Q&Q at industry events
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong understanding of the Canadian publishing industry, in particular children’s literature
- Versatile writer with experience reporting and editing in a deadline-driven environment
- Familiarity with magazine editorial processes, with story-development skills
- Experience with WordPress, social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), and InDesign
- Have a high level of organization, attention to detail, and copy-editing skills
- Flexible team player eager to contribute to all aspects of the publication
St. Joseph Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates please forward your resume and portfolio to the Human Resources Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Editor, Books for Young People" in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.