Editor, Where Calgary
DEPARTMENT: Where Calgary
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
REPORTS TO: Publisher
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
About St Joseph Media Group:
With over 8.5 million readers in print and 14.5 million online, no one delivers fashion, beauty, weddings, lifestyle, food, decor and urban essentials like St. Joseph Media Group. Our titles include Where Calgary, Where Vancouver, Where Toronto, Where Ottawa, Toronto Life, FASHION, Weddingbells, MARIAGE Québec, Canadian Family, Quill & Quire, Ottawa Magazine and Torontoist. Our brands consistently win awards for journalism, photography, design and online excellence.
Established in 1936, Where is the largest network of visitor publications in the world. Globally, the Where brand reaches 100 million readers in over 100 destinations. Because Where is an internationally recognized brand, visitors trust what they read on our pages and on our website, where.ca. In Canada alone, we publish in 10 destinations, reach over 9 million readers and are distributed nationally to more than 1000 hotels, visitor information centres, attractions and transportation hubs.
About Where Calgary:
Where Calgary Magazine has been produced since 1981 and is Calgary’s premiere tourism, leisure and lifestyle magazine. It gives readers specific information about where to dine, where to shop, where to find entertainment and other important visitor services. Sixty percent of circulation is directed towards the city’s visitor segment. Where Calgary can be found in every hotel room, visitor information centre and transportation hub in the city. Calgary residents make up forty percent of Where readership with distribution in shopping centres, select retail stores, dining establishments and office buildings throughout the city.
Where Calgary also produces a number of annual publications including the upscale Essential Calgary Magazine, the provincially themed travel digest OUR Alberta, the popular Where Calgary Map, and under contract, the Tourism Calgary Visitor Guide. Our Calgary office also contributes to RM Magazine – the exclusive onboard publication for Rocky Mountaineer Vacations.
About this Career Opportunity:
Where Calgary is growing and we are searching for a dynamic, talented and committed person to help build and lead an editorial and creative vision that will maintain and enhance its position as the leading source of lifestyle and consumer information for Calgary visitors and residents alike, both in print and online.
The position of editor will require you to wear many hats. You will be a great writer, able to research and create engaging articles and features that will capture the imagination of our readers. You will be a great planner, able to work closely with others to develop long term editorial strategies within a defined budget. You will be a great manager, able to guide the team to results. You will be resourceful, able to call upon your network of freelance writers and community contacts to get the best story. You will be a great ambassador, collaborating with other media, attending a variety of public and private events, and always representing St Joseph Media is a professional manner . You will be a caring and compassionate teammate, supporting and helping colleagues to be there their best.
- Manage the editorial content of each magazine, including writing, assigning stories to in-house staff and freelancers, and editing all copy.
- Assist in developing long-term editorial brand strategy for St Joseph Media and Where Calgary.
- On a per publication basis, generate editorial outlines and produce engaging features.
- Work closely with the publisher to develop annual editorial strategy, budget, and assignment schedule for all related publications.
- Work with the production team to develop schedules and manage towards deadlines.
- Work closely with sales team to build integrated client marketing and advertising programs.
- Manage Where Calgary’s website, including uploading content to the site.
- Manage Where Calgary’s social media presence, including website, Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
- Work closely with the company’s digital team on strategy and execution of online content.
- Attend events and network within the community.
Qualifications and Requirements – The ideal candidate will:
- Have a minimum of three years’ experience in the magazine industry
- Possess a BA and/or a journalism degree
- Have excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Possess a strong grasp of social trends and consumer behaviour
- Have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Have a thorough understanding of the production process
- Be active in a number of social media channels with Calgary residents, including Twitter, Facebook, and PinterestInstagram
- Be fun, personable, creative, and eager to create exciting publications and make a difference in the Calgary community and magazine industry.
- Fully functional with MS Word, Excel, and InDesign/InCopy
- Irregular business hours may apply
St. Joseph Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates please forward your resume to the Human Resources Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Editor, Where Calgary" in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.