Editor, Where Ottawa Magazine
REPORTS TO: Publisher, Where Ottawa Magazine
DEPARTMENT: Where Ottawa
LOCATION: Ottawa, Ontario
STATUS: Full time, Regular
St. Joseph Media is Canada’s third largest magazine publisher with brands including award-winning titles such as Ottawa Magazine, Canadianfamily.ca, Toronto Life, Torontolife.com, FASHION, fashionmagazine.com, WeddingBells, weddingbells.ca, Mariage Quebec, WHERE Canada magazines, Quill & Quire and quillandquire.com.
Where Ottawa is looking for an experienced and dynamic editor to join the team. Where is part of an international group of visitor magazines dating back to 1936. Where’s Canadian presence includes editions in Victoria, Vancouver, Whistler, the Canadian Rockies, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax.
- Assist in developing long term editorial brand strategy for Where Magazine, including developing annual editorial plans
- Generate editorial outlines and engaging short features
- Help maintain and manage editorial budgets for annual publications
- Work with the production team to meet deadlines
- Work closely with sales and marketing teams to build integrated programs for a variety of clients
- Work with the publisher to strengthen and develop brand initiatives
- Manage the website, including uploading content to the site
- Manage Where Ottawa’s social media presence, including website, Facebook, and Twitter accounts
- Work closely with the company’s digital team on strategy and execution of online content
- Assist with marketing writer and editor duties for St. Joseph Media including:
- Development of local and national marketing content, with a focus on lifestyle, entertainment and tourism clients
- Edit and write marketing, advertorial, and branded content for clients — both local and national
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A minimum of three years’ experience as an editor in the magazine industry
- A BA and/or a journalism degree
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- A strong grasp of social trends and consumer behaviour
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- A thorough understanding of the production process
- Active in a number of social media channels with Ottawa residents, including Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Fully functional with MS Word, Excel, and InDesign/InCopy
- Marketing writing and editing experience a strong asset
- Experience writing branded content and advertising materials an asset
- Experience working with external clients in both the public and private sector to create multimedia content and marketing materials an asset
- Managerial experience coordinating a team of writers and editors (staff or freelance) an asset
- Irregular business hours may apply
St. Joseph Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates please forward your resume and portfolio to the Human Resources Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Editor, Where Ottawa" in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.