Variable Imaging Designer/Programmer
DIVISION: St. Joseph Communications, Print Group
REPORTS TO: Variable Imaging Supervisor/Manager
LOCATION: Concord, Ontario
HOURS OF WORK: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 15, 2016
A leading printing company of Canada has an immediate opening for a Variable Imaging Designer/Programmer. Reporting to the Variable Imaging Supervisor/Manager, this position will analyze and create variable graphic design documents from customer specifications required for print and web using state of the art design and document composition software. The Designer/Programmer will manipulate/process and merge the data with variable graphic design to output print files.
- Review inputs, specifications, and planned output for each docket requiring design & data processing.
- Use document composition software to create variable documents per customer specifications from scratch and/or importing and customizing customer supplied graphic design files (Adobe InDesign, Quark, other).
- Process data by following documented procedures created by the VI Programming associates
- Processing functions (automated or manual) may include one or more of the following: load files into a database, address correction, merge files, purge duplicates, fix long fields, fix misaligned data, upper/lower case, split file into versions, perform record & field counts, clean records, send automated emails, generate reports
- Merge processed data with variable design templates and outputting digital print files
- Run postal software to perform Canadian postal sorts on the data.
- Generate reports (tracking sheets), back feed files, QC manifest, labels, data dumps, proofs, inkjet layout forms, and other supporting materials required by production and mailing.
- Create and print out all necessary postal reports, labels, documentation, etc.
- Ensure all projects are Quality Checked for accuracy.
- Maintain safety, housekeeping, and ISO standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor/Manager/VP.
- College/University degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Experience with transactional print and direct mail is an asset
- Ability to learn new applications and internal production workflows.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Ability to adapt quickly and work under pressure.
- Operating Environment: Microsoft Windows
- Variable Document Composition: Pageflex, PlanetPress, Pres Connect (Objectif Lune), Adobe InDesign, Quark Xpress
- Output Print Streams/File Formats: Postscript, PDF, AFP, IJPDS, etc
- Databases/Languages: FoxPro, PERL, SQL, Access, Excel
- Mail Applications: Canada Post Mailing Standards, StreetSweeper, iAddress, PostalSoft Presort, Merge/Purge, etc.
St. Joseph Communications is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarian’s with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources.
Interested candidates please forward your resume to the Human Resources Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Variable Imaging Designer/Programmer" in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.