REPORTS TO: Editor, Toronto Life
DEPARTMENT: Toronto Life
LOCATION: Toronto, ON
STATUS: Permanent Full-time
St. Joseph Communications is the largest producer of magazines in Canada, with award-winning titles such as FASHION, Maclean’s, Chatelaine, Toronto Life, Weddingbells, Mariage Québec, Where Canada Group of Magazines, Ottawa Magazine and Quill & Quire.
Toronto Life is seeking an associate editor to work on print and digital stories about real estate, business, politics and sports. We’re looking for someone innately curious about the city, passionate about journalism and storytelling, with top-notch digital publishing skills. A sense of humour would be good, too, along with the ability to craft witty headlines and photo captions. We’re looking for an organized self-starter who thrives on results and flourishes in a busy environment that is collaborative, ambitious and fun.
- Generate real estate story ideas for torontolife.com, including material to feature in “House of the Week”
- Edit print front-of-book section “This City” including Audit, Q&A, Ego Meter, Camera and Urban Diplomat
- Come to weekly Toronto Life story meetings with multiple ideas
- Edit Toronto Life’s weekly real estate e-newsletter
- Build and maintain relationships with freelance writers
- Prepare and optimize posts in WordPress
- Support social media strategy and distribution, including posting to social platforms
- Craft thought-provoking and engaging headlines
- Assist in ongoing performance analysis, tracking and optimization of stories
- Uphold and enforce editorial best practices
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong editorial/journalism background
- Have impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation skills
- Well-developed storytelling skills – ability to shape copy to strengthen a narrative
- Be proficient in MS Office and WordPress. Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy would be an asset
- Affinity for Toronto Life
- Knowledge and experience with digital and social media (FB, Instagram, Twitter)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and contribute new ideas in a diverse, fast-paced, deadline-driven team environment
- Be meticulous and detail-oriented
- Be able to work with minimal supervision under tight deadlines
- High degree of emotional intelligence in working closely with writers to provide clear, positive feedback
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong editorial sense and knowledge in a variety of categories, including real estate, local news, politics, business, sports
- Knowledge of metrics tracking, social media, video
Interested candidates please forward your resume & writing samples to Sarah Fulford at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls & agencies please.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. SJC Media is an equal opportunity employer. SJC Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.