POSITION: REPORTS TO: Creative Director
DEPARTMENT: HELLO! Canada
LOCATION: Toronto, ON
STATUS: Full-time, Permanent
St. Joseph Communications is the largest producer of magazines in Canada, with award-winning titles such as FASHION, Maclean’s, Chatelaine, HELLO! Canada, Flare, Toronto Life, Today’s Parent, Weddingbells, Mariage Québec, Where Canada Group of Magazines, Ottawa Magazine and Quill & Quire.
St. Joseph Communications is looking for an Associate Photo Editor to join the art department of HELLO! Canada. This individual will be required to help evolve the HELLO! Canada photo direction across all platforms while working closely with the editorial team and external partners. Qualified candidates must be critical thinkers with excellent aesthetic judgement, strong creative reflexes in order to meet demanding weekly issue deadlines and work well in a collaborative team environment and independently as required.
- Conceptualize, research and communicate visual story ideas for print and digital
- Assist in the management of photo freelancers
- Call in photography from large network of industry contacts
- Secure copyright and negotiate fees for images
- Contribute to archive of photo galleries for use on web and social media
- Preparation of image files for Pre-Media/Digital Graphic Services
- Maintain and grow network of industry contacts
- Assist in tracking image budget for print and online
- Coordinate sharing of files between HELLO international titles
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum 2+ years of editorial photo research experience at a consumer publication
- Excellent interpersonal skills and positive attitude
- Strong knowledge of international copyright law
- Familiarity with celebrity and news photo agencies
- Understanding of image approval process involving PR, agents and royal outlets
- Technical understanding and interest in photo usage rights for web and social media
- Understanding of colour profiles and conversions
- Excellent news judgment and a solid understanding of the entertainment industry
- Ability to work under pressure and rise to creative challenges under tight deadlines
- Familiarity in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Knowledge of WordPress publishing system software is an asset
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *No Agencies Please*
Interested candidates please forward your cover letter and resume to the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.