REPORTS TO: Art Director
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Content Labs
LOCATION: Downtown Toronto
STATUS: Part-time, Freelance
Strategic Content Labs is the custom content division of St. Joseph Media, Canada’s third largest magazine publisher, with brands including award-winning titles such as Toronto Life, Torontolife.com, FASHION, fashionmagazine.com, WeddingBells, weddingbells.ca, Canadianfamily.ca, Mariage Quebec, WHERE Canada magazines, and Quill & Quire, quillandquire.com.
We are currently looking for a designer to assist us in producing fresh, creative editorial designs for a variety of print publications.
- Creating and executing fresh and exciting layouts across various editorial publications and products
- Brainstorming with the art and editorial team
- Working with the Editors and Art Department to develop strategies and solutions for stories and packages
- Occasionally help with photo research and commission illustration
- Ensure all layouts are clean, pre-flighted and well-prepared for pre-press
- Some Photoshop work: clipping paths, colour correction and image retouching
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Applied Arts or Graphic Design
- Ability to produce fresh, creative layouts on deadline
- First-rate knowledge of Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and other Mac design programs
- Attention to detail and consistency
- Illustration and retouching skills are a bonus
- Previous editorial experience preferred, but not required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- High-level understanding of typography
- Knowledge of the current rends in design, magazines and pop culture
Please forward your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the job title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
St. Joseph Media is an equal opportunity employer.
St. Joseph Media is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.