POSITION: Intermediate Designer
REPORTS TO: Art Director
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Content Labs
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
Strategic Content Labs is the custom content division of St. Joseph Media, Canada’s largest magazine publisher, with brands including award-winning titles such FASHION, Maclean’s, Chatelaine, Toronto Life, Weddingbells, Mariage Québec, Where Canada Group of Magazines, Ottawa Magazine and Quill & Quire.
Strategic Content Labs is looking for an energetic Intermediate Designer to join the Travel and Automotive team. Reporting to the Art Director, the Intermediate Designer will also work closely with the Editorial and Account teams. The Intermediate Designer will be responsible for creating fresh and unique editorial pages for our largest custom content client group.
This role requires not only a talented, creative designer, but also a strategic thinker with at least 3-5 years’ experience. You have strong aesthetic instincts and exceptional typography skills. You are able to manage multiple projects from concept through production to completion. You are motivated, highly organized, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and are a results-oriented team player.
- Work with the Art Director to successfully translate concepts to print and digital media
- Create fresh and unique editorial features and sections as required by the Art Director
- Independently design templated editorial pages for other clients, with minimal supervision
- Oversee visuals for digital content stream
- Source images for use in print and online
- Produce PDFs as required for proofing
- Prepare files for printing, liaising with our internal production team
- Create collateral for other clients and internal teams, as needed
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 3–5 years of print magazine experience
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Graphic Design or media-related equivalent
- Excellent computer skills, especially with Adobe Creative Suite in a Mac environment
- Demonstrate a passion for design and creative thinking
- Superior communication skills and a friendly, positive attitude
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to learn new processes and skills quickly
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline-driven environment
- Clear understanding of print and digital media specs
- Video experience and illustration skills an asset
If interested please forward your resume & portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
St. Joseph Media is an equal opportunity employer.