Reports to: VP Operations
Department & Division: Design Studio, SJC Content
St. Joseph Communications (SJC) really comes down to one thing: 1,000 awesome associates focused on providing solutions that go “beyond content” and beyond our clients’ expectations. Whether the channel is mobile, online, print, bricks-and-mortar, or all of the above, SJC creates integrated marketing solutions that deliver a seamless brand experience. SJC also publishes some of Canada’s most iconic media brands, including Chatelaine, FASHION, FLARE, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent and Toronto Life.
SJC has been named as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 16 consecutive years with distinction as a Platinum member.
Are you ready to join a forward thinking, innovative, and solution-focused team? Then come join us at SJC in the role of Design Studio, Manager!
You are living proof that ‘creative’ and ‘production’ can co-exist. You know how to balance the needs of creative visionaries with the realities of timelines and budgets.
As the Manager of the Design Studio, you oversee the day-to-day production of advertising media from initial briefing to final delivery within an omni-channel environment. You are responsible for planning, time/effort allocation and execution for all projects within the Design Studio. You oversee a team of designers and coordinate the workflow within the department to ensure optimal efficiency, quality control and on-time delivery. Working closely with the Production Manager, you will also make workflow process recommendations to the VP of Operations that will positively impact overall company results and the bottom line.
Want to know a bit about your new career? In this role you will:
- Provide superior leadership and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Design Studio
- Collaborate with Account, Creative and Production Planning teams to foster positive internal and external relationships
- Liaise with internal teams and clients in quoting projects costs based on SOWs (statement of work)
- Assign team members and direct tasks involved in the production of flyers/catalogues, POS, packaging, and animation for social media, online, video and digital signage
- Act as main point of contact for project managers to ensure projects are on track
- Organize team meetings as required throughout the production process to provide detailed project updates
- Monitor and track production schedules to successfully implement and deliver projects on brand, on time and on budget
- Ensure creative integrity and brand consistency is adhered to
- Continuously update the VP, Operations SJC and/or client on project status including potential problematic situations that could jeopardize timelines
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans
- Coordinate post-mortem meetings, including documentation of identified issues and resolution results for future reference
- Submit timesheets and approve departmental payroll
- Participate in management meeting to set annual budgets and volume forecasts
- Implement cost-savings initiatives to enhance the company’s fiscal performance
- Lead, coach and mentor Design Studio team members in their professional skills development
- Work efficiently, calmly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Perform other duties as required
And a bit about yourself?
- University/College degree or equivalent in the field of design and or advertising preferred
- Managerial experience in building and leading a team
- Familiar with workflow software such as Workfront and Google G-suite applications
- Knowledge of graphics and animation software, including but not limited to Adobe Creative Cloud, Keynote, Acrobat and MS Office within a Mac-based environment
- Strong knowledge of graphic design and production as it applies to print media and packaging
- Solid understanding of animation and video editing is an asset
- Superior time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work according to deadlines
- Excellent professional interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills and astute with e-communication
- Self-initiative with proactive problem-solving skills, innovative thinking and a positive team attitude
- Extremely detail-oriented, accurate, efficient, organized and quality-focused
- Willing to work longer days or weekends when required
So what’s in it for you?
- Group Benefits
- 50% discount to GoodLife Fitness
- Perkopolis Perk Program
- Magazine Subscription Program
- Employee pricing at major brands and retail
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Scholarship Program
- Chairman’s Award Program
- TD Home and Auto preferred Insurance program
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *No Agencies Please*
Interested candidates please forward your cover letter and resume to the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.