Location: 1 Mount Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON
Status: Full time
We are seeking a managing editor for FLARE, the Canadian millennial’s guide to pop culture, current events, feminism, fashion and beauty. The right candidate is a digital-first thinker and seasoned editor who is highly organized and thrives in a fast-paced daily news environment.
We’re looking for an informed, creative content whiz to support the editor-in-chief on big-picture planning and daily editing; someone who is passionate and committed to delivering smart, funny, inclusive, clickable and shareable content for FLARE’s diverse and savvy audience. They possess a strong roster of industry contacts, including a trusted crew of reliable freelance writers, and have an eye for digital story packaging, able to work collaboratively and productively with graphic designers.
The managing editor will be responsible for the following:
- Assigning and editing both long-lead features and daily reactive news stories for FLARE.com
- Conceptualizing and handling quarterly feature packages
- Mentoring junior staff and interns
- Expanding our network of freelance writers, prioritizing diverse experiences and perspectives
- Tracking spending against editorial budget
- Maintaining an editorial calendar
- Assisting the EIC with long-term planning, tentpoles and ideating on brand extensions
- 5+ years of digital editorial experience, preferably at a lifestyle publication and with some background in branded content
- Proficiency in WordPress, Photoshop and data analytics tools
- A deep knowledge of fashion, beauty and pop culture
- A positive and collaborative attitude
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to persevere—and thrive—in an ever-changing media landscape
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Interested candidates please forward your resume to the Human Resources department at: email@example.com.
Please quote “Managing Editor, Flare” in the subject line of your e-mail.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.