REPORTS TO: Editor-in-Chief, FLARE
DEPARTMENT: Editorial Lifestyle
St. Joseph Communications (SJC) really comes down to one thing: 1,000 awesome associates focused on providing solutions that go “beyond content” and beyond our clients’ expectations.
Whether the channel is mobile, online, print, bricks-and-mortar, or all of the above, SJC creates integrated marketing solutions that deliver a seamless brand experience. SJC also publishes some of Canada’s most iconic media brands, including Chatelaine, FASHION, FLARE, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent and Toronto Life.
SJC has been named as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 16 consecutive years with distinction as a Platinum member.
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, innovative, and solution-focused team? Then come join us in the role of Senior Editor, FLARE!
Want to know a bit about your new career?
We are seeking a Senior Editor for FLARE, the Canadian millennial’s guide to pop culture, current events, feminism, fashion and beauty. We’re looking for a collaborative worker who is excited to contribute to FLARE’s mandate of creating smart, funny, inclusive, clickable and shareable content that resonates with our vast and varied demographic of young people who are tuned in and keyed up about the issues that matter.
The right candidate is an ambitious, digital-first thinker who thrives in a daily news environment, is obsessed with social media, and is excited to cover everything from what’s happening in Canadian politics to the latest episode of The Bachelor. They possess a passion for storytelling, strong reporting skills and an influential network of industry contacts.
In this role you will be:
- Assigning, editing, and building voice-y, thumb-stopping content for Flare.com across all content pillars
- Building and nurturing our roster of smart, lively, diverse writers
- Developing and overseeing a high-level social media strategy for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and emerging platforms as necessary
- Managing FLARE’s daily newsletter
- Staying abreast of news topics that interest our readers, and pitching daily reactive content and long form features as appropriate
- Working with our audience development team to identify SEO keywords and content gaps
- Working with the managing editor and EIC to strategize on content packages throughout the year (such as Black History Month, TIFF, etc.)
- Mentoring junior staff members and interns
- Attending and representing FLARE at industry events
A bit about who we are looking for:
- 3–5+ years of digital editorial experience, preferably at a lifestyle or news publication
- Proficiency in WordPress, Photoshop, and social media analytics tools
- Experience analyzing and utilizing search trends to inform content strategy
- Keen interest in and knowledge of fashion, beauty, pop culture and current events
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to work to tight deadlines and quick turnarounds
- Ability to persevere—and thrive—in an ever-changing media landscape
So what’s in it for you?
- Group Benefits
- 50% discount to GoodLife Fitness
- Perkopolis Perk Program
- Magazine Subscription Program
- Employee pricing at major brands and retail
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Scholarship Program
- Chairman’s Award Program
- TD Home and Auto preferred Insurance program
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates please forward your cover letter and resume to the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.